My first weekend off base I decided to go with a friend to visit his home in Wisconsin. His Father drove down and picked us up on Saturday morning. As we left the base I looked back and marveled at its enormity. It wasn't long though before we were out in the country. I stared out the window and took it all in, thick deciduous forests with waving green leaves, dark green fields that stretched for miles. I snapped pictures of silo's and little red barns as if I had never seen one before. I rolled down my window and took a beep long breath of fresh air. I imagine I am a dog on the way to the beach. I am enjoying the the wind in my face and the sun in my eyes.
As we drove we filled in Cris's Father on the happening on base and swapped storeys about navy life. Mr burns was in the navy as a young man as well. We told him all about boot camp, the characters in our class the instructors the training and the pranks. Thing have changed allot since I was in the navy he said, they have gone too soft. "If this is soft I would hate to see the old navy", I thought to myself.
We arrived at the house in the early afternoon. We walked into the house without knocking. It felt unnatural....no salute, no request permission to come aboard.? We announced our arrival and out came Mrs burns. Mrs burns was ansious to see her sun, he was not so much. "Cris is about 32by the way."Cris had a few things to do.Meanwhile we were told by mrs burns to "Make Ourselves Comfortable"????? I wasn't quite sure how. It had been four months since I had been in a persons Home. Things like couches and chairs seem like yetties and leviathans and then you see one and you just freeze and stare it down not knowing what exactly to do.I walked around for a wile and looked at family photos then my other friend and I sat on the deck and had a cup of coffee. Mrs burns joined us of coarse.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment